Because you know WHY, you will learn HOW
Like for anything new, you need to make a mental effort to learn it. Eighteen months ago, I didn’t know how to copy and paste. But I learned anyway because I had a reason. And like you,I discovered that the 10 steps to set up a word press blog is easy! And like they say, ‘How to eat an elephant is one bite at a time’!
Setting up Word press manually takes five minutes. But you can get someone on Fiverr.com to do it for you. Or someone from your family can guide you step-by-step.
You don’t need to be a mechanic and know exactly how it works, to be able to drive a car.
Here are the steps to follow if you don’t know the sequence to follow. But you can find all kinds of over-the-shoulder video tutorials on You Tube also.
You can download the document here:
Ten easy steps
1) Choose your domain name – Go to namecheap.com to check out if it’s available and buy it. (Approximately 12$ a year)
- Get a .com. This gives more credibility than .biz or .info. For me blogging made simple was for sale but not available in .com. So I tried wp (wordpress) blogging made simple.com and it worked. They will try an upsell to get you to buy .biz, .org and so on. You don’t need them, OK?
- If you want a money making blog you want a domain name based on a word or phrase that people are typing into the search engine.
- You can go to Google keyword tool and type in the main theme of your blog. It will give related phrases people are typing in and how many times a month. I used a plugin I have on another blog called Keyword winner. I saw that 121000 people per month were typing in “blogging made simple”. There were millions looking at ‘blog’ but that’s a niche that is too broad. And they’ll find you too with the narrower subject. It is vital, if you want to make money with your blog to narrow down your subject. You don’t want ‘fitness for women’ where there would be too much competition, but better ‘fitness for women after 50’ ‘or ‘pregnant women’.
- You can go to see what’s selling in the book section at Amazon.
Go to the Product detail section. Any selling rank between 1 and 20000 is a fairly hot niche (1 is the better bestselling rank).
- Most people who do a blog want to write about one of their passions. It’s good to focus on something that you are passionate about. But write about something that you know about. You may have know-how in the real estate market on ‘How to flip houses for profit and fun’. Even if you no longer are passionate about that, you should blog about that because you have the insider language. The secret about money making blogs is giving answers to what people are asking as questions.
I would never have thought that the ‘survival’ theme interests so many people. Ryan Diess from Digital marketer.com set up the blog ‘survival life’ and now has 300000 readers. I’ll explain how you can monetize that in a later post.
So that is enough about choosing your domain name, but pay attentions to these concepts, because we want you to be part of the 5% bloggers who are making money.
If you already have a blog, nothing stops you from building a new one, is there?
2) You need a hosting account.
We recommend going to HostGator.com and get their Baby plan. Be aware that the pricing presented may be for 5 years. Change for a one year price. You can renew it each year.
- When you get the sign in details, go to the control panel (c-panel) and choose the ‘quick install’ option. (click on Fantastico towards the bottom of the list)
- Within the side panel you will find, under ‘Blog software’ section, Word Press is listed. Click on that and follow the installation wizard which will walk you through the different steps.
Download the report: 10 quick and easy steps to setting up your new WordPress blog‘ to know the different fields you will need to fill out. It will explain the different steps if you want to do it manually also.
3) Set up your Word Press data base Go to your c-panel and run the MySQL Database Wizard that will walk you through all the steps.
4) Setting up your site with FTP (forward transmission protocol) You will automatically get the login with the quick install option. Look for the file wp-config.php. When it opens, there is some information required. To easily find it, it is highlighted with a color code. The free report explains what information is needed.
5) Fill in the information asked for by the Install Word Press wizard When the wp-config.php file has been updated, the ‘install word press wizard’ opens up, fill in the information asked for. You want a very secure password. You will need it all the time so write it down in several places. If you lose it, HostGator cannot give it to you. Once the wizard has finished the installation process, you are good to go and your login page will come up and with your password you can enter your own Word Press site!
This is the end of part 1. You have learned that you need to carefully choose your domain name if you want to make money with your blog. Host gator will help you to quick install your blog with the fantastico deluxe function. Setting up your data base seems complicated but the wizard has you follow step by step. Setting up your site with FTP is just filling in certain information in the right places. And the install Word press is not difficult either.
And like I said, 18 months ago, I knew nothing of the blogging world, and I learned, like you will.
Just keep your WHY clearly in front of you. I have a Vision Board in front of me with several photos that describe where I want to go. Click here to subscribe to my mailing list
In part 2 you will get the last 5 steps.